Take your career to new depths and put your skills to work in a one of a kind setting by becoming a part of the premiere aquarium showcasing the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea. The Texas State Aquarium provides high quality, entertaining programming through education, conservation, and wildlife rehabilitation. We strive to provide our guests with an exciting, educational, and memorable experience.
The Trainer II for the Marine Mammal department will provide quality care andtraining for all marine mammal areas.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Participates in the primary care and training of the marine mammal collection.
- Maintain marine mammal exhibit.
- Participate in all areas of marine mammal husbandry and programming.
- Participate in behavioral enrichment.
- Prepare food and feed according to established procedures.
- Observe animal behavior and report unusual/abnormal behavior to supervisor.
- Assist Veterinarian during marine mammal medicals.
- Participate in primary care and training of Otters.
- Enter data into TRACKS.
- Maintain all feeding, behavior, training and medical records.
- Clean, maintain, and store utensils and equipment used to feed and care for animals.
- Assess water chemistry/temperatures and report anything unusual to supervisors.
- Plan and direct the work of support staff and volunteers in primary areas of responsibility.
- Enter exhibits by use of SCUBA equipment to clean exhibitry, provide animal care, and/or feed.
- Provide assistance on research projects related to animal behavior, animal nutrition, animal physiology, and water chemistry.
- Contribute to the maintenance and cleanliness of the Dolphin Bay wet area.
Bachelor’s degree in biology, psychology, or related field from a four year college or university is required with a minimum of three years professional experience in Cetacean husbandry and training. An equivalent combination of education and experience that would likely produce the required knowledge skills and abilities may be considered.
?An Open Water SCUBA certification and ability to pass a swim test is required for consideration.
This position offers an attractive benefits/vacation package including a 100% employer paid health plan, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan with a 100% match of the first 5% contributed.
If interested in applying, please submit an application through our website www.texasstateaquarium.org. Applications submitted any where other than our official website will not be viewed.